Creative job opportunity for energetic and imaginative person at the Cultural Center in New York Mills
New York Mills, MN, July 2017–Seeking program coordinator for fun and flexible job opportunity. 20-30 hours/week, beginning ASAP. Must be able to cover open hours at the Center at least two-three days per week, during Gallery and Gift Store Open Hours: Wed-Thurs 10-7, Fri 10-5, and Sat 10-3 (closed Sun-Tues). Includes some Saturdays and evening/weekend events.
Job responsibilities include some or all of the following (bold are requirements):
- Event planning – example annual events include MSHSL Arts Festival, community Halloween Party, Puppet Pageant, spring/holiday fundraisers, and more
- Artist residency coordination – promote, manage application review process, and schedule visiting artists
- Fund development – grant writing, assist with securing sponsorships, donations, etc.
- Tourism and hospitality – greeting visitors, answering phones, checking out customers in Gift Store, providing information on the region, and helping to make connections (part of every staff member’s role at the Center – we are the city’s tourism center)
- Administrative duties – assist Executive Director with administrative duties as needed
- Volunteer coordination – develop roles, increase numbers, and build relationships with volunteers to help carry out the work of the Center
- Youth development – develop connections with youth through youth council or other
- Performing arts – assist with scheduling music and theater performances
- Donor relationship management – utilize existing Little Green Light database system to build relationships with donors; develop communication plan to maximize engagement and accurate recordkeeping
- Gallery – assist with hanging gallery shows
Necessary skills include strong verbal and written communication; proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and Google Drive/Docs/Calendar, etc.; highly organized; ability to multi-task; knowledge of and interest in the arts and willingness to learn; ability to work well with variety of personality types; friendly and welcoming. Knowledge of the area helpful.
The Cultural Center in New York Mills is a rural center for creativity, community vitality, and lifelong learning in the arts. We offer visitors intimate opportunities to encounter art and artists in our 80-seat concert listening room, two art galleries in a historic building, a gift store featuring local artists, an artist residency program, a sculpture park, and a variety of opportunities to learn, grow, and thrive.
Come join our team and be a part of one of the first and finest regional arts centers in the nation. Since our incorporation in 1990, we have been passionate about connecting people to artists and rich cultural experiences in rural Minnesota, celebrating the local and being a window to the world.