Please join us for the 2015 Puppet Pageant, once again under the creative direction of Anne Sawyer-Aitch. This year’s original play will weave folklore from the Finnish national epic poem, the Kalevala, and the cultural heritage of the region in which we live. Learn how to create, perform and maybe even walk on stilts!
Participation in the play and two weeks of workshops is open to youth ages 7 and up and adults, with volunteers gladly welcomed.
The cost of participation is $50/ child, but if cost is a concern simply call the Center and we can discuss potential scholarships. There is no fee for adult participation.
This year’s performance will take place on Friday, August 21st at 7 pm (immediately following the New York Mills Civic & Commerce Corn Feed), with workshops taking place the two weeks prior (Monday-Friday, August 10th-21st), at the New York Mills Creamery (located just a block away from the Cultural Center).
Schedule for workshops is as follows:
WORKSHOPS FOR ALL:
- August 10-14 (Monday-Friday) 9am-noon
- August 17-21 (Monday-Friday) 9am-noon
- August 20 (Thursday) 6-8 pm *DRESS REHEARSAL*
- August 21 (Friday) 5:30 CALL FOR PERFORMERS, 7:00 pm *PERFORMANCE*
PUPPETS & PROPS BUILDING (ADULTS AND CHILDREN ACCOMPANIED BY ADULTS ONLY):
- August 10, 12, 13 (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday) 6-8pm
- August 17-19 (Monday-Wednesday) 6-8pm
- August 11 (Tuesday) 1-2:30 pm
- August 13 (Thursday) 1-2:30 pm
- August 18 (Tuesday) 1-2:30 pm
- August 20 (Thursday) 1-2:30 pm