Day of the Dead Saturday November 2nd
Here is a photograph of the ofrenda panels made by artist Xavier Tavera on display at the Cultural Center. Pilgrims can post photographs of friends and family, or bring gifts of food or other items to please the dead. The two end panels feature Lake Camecuero in the state of Michoacan and a calaca of a man killed by bees in Michoacan in 2011.
From 10 am to 4 pm on Saturday November 2nd at the Cultural Center and Creamery in New York Mills there will be a day commemorating el dia de los muertos. ArtOrg from Canon Falls is partnering with the Center in making this project possible, along with the Mexican communities in Long Prairie, Perham, and Pelican Rapids. Everyone is invited to learn the traditions of Day of the Dead, to enjoy foods of Mexico, and to meet new neighbors. Day of the Dead activities are funded in part by a grant from the Lake Region Arts Council through a Minnesota State Legislative appropriation.
1. Large (4’ x 8’) Day of the Dead prints in the gallery from 10am to 4 pm on Saturday. Huge 104 foot print of day of the dead on display in the gallery. This exhibit of Day of the Dead art will be open to the public from October 30-November 7
2. 6 large art panels constituting a community ofrenda made by artist Xavier Tavera on display all day and ready to receive additions made by pilgrims participating in Day of the Dead.
3. Presentation on the art of Day of the Dead by artist Xavier Tavera at 11am November 2nd.
4. Mexican food at the Creamery from noon to 3pm.
5. Day of the Dead video presented all day November 2nd