Friday, July 7, 2017
Join us at the Cultural Center and outside in the street for the 4th annual Fish House Festival! Held in conjunction with New York Mills Summer Celebration and Lund Mania festivities.
Schedule of Events for Friday, July 7
- 9am-4pm Artists painting fish houses & more in the street, all to be included in raffle drawing & live auction at 6:30pm! Raffle tickets for sale at Cultural Center in NYM and Gene’s Sport Shop in Perham. Live music by Trad & True.
- 10am-4pm Gallery open! Annual Decoy Show & Wildlife Art on display in main floor Gallery. Free to see & open to all.
- 1-2:30pm Youth Decoy Painting – paint your own wooden fish decoy! Best for ages 10+, max 20 participants, $5 fee, call 218-385-3339 to pre-register.
- 1-4pm Fun in the street & upstairs inside the Center: live music by TRAD & TRUE (more info below), games, sidewalk chalk art, food, drinks, fish-themed “Art in Your Park” free arts & crafts activities for kids!
- 3pm “Let’s Go Fishing!” Fish Tales from the North Woods presentation by Eric Dregni. Eric’s artistic icon maps also featured in Gallery exhibit. Free to attend.
- 6:30pm Raffle Drawing & Live Auction! In front of NYM Fire Hall.
- Raffle Prizes:
- Grand Prize: Ron Hamm Custom Artist-Painted Spear House
- Second Prize: John Peeters fish painting
- Third Prize: John Peeters fish decoy
- Live Auction by Bachmann Auctioneers, featuring decoys & other items painted that day, 50% proceeds to artists, 50% to Cultural Center. Bidding numbers available at Cultural Center all day.
- Raffle Prizes:
Raffle tickets just $10, and ON SALE NOW at the Cultural Center in New York Mills and Gene’s Sport Shop in Perham!
Live music in the street 1-4pm
TRAD & TRUE plays old-time fiddle music, waltzes, two-steps, reels and schottisches, lively tunes from the back porches, front parlors, & Saturday barn dances of our grandparents era, live on the street in front of the Cultural Center from 1-4pm during the Fish House Festival.
Featuring Bob Johnson, a phenomenon on harmonica, and raised in Virginia, he’s been a main stay of the local band Oofta Mountain Boys. With his wife Gail, as a duo, he plays and sings gospel at churches all over our area. Gail is a multi-instrumentalist who plays guitar, recorder, mountain dulcimer and bagpipes. She plays with the Scottish pipe band Heather and Thistle. Deb Wallwork plays old time fiddle. She’s played for square dances, tea parties, barn-raisings, artist openings and pretty much anywhere good times are to be found.
Gallery Exhibit: Wildlife Art & Decoy Show
The current Gallery Exhibit, Wildlife Art & Decoy Show, will be on display June 28 – July 29, 2017. This exhibit features painting by John Peeters and Aryn Lill, drawings by Eric Dregni, gyotaku fish prints by Becky Allbright, decoys by Dennis Bertram & Curt Soine, and more. Come check out this great local culture exhibit during our Fish House Festival on Friday, July 7th, and meet some of the artists during our Reception, which features a “Let’s Go Fishing” presentation by Eric Dregni at 3:00 p.m. Free to attend, free to see, open to all. Gallery hours are Wednesdays & Thursdays 10am-7pm, Fridays 10am-5pm, and Saturdays 10am-3pm.
Thanks also to the East Otter Tail Darkhouse & Angling Association for their support of the Youth Decoy Painting activity held during the Fish House Festival.